Avatar

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Using Videos While Respecting Copyright

I love using Discovery Education as well as the YouTube and TeacherTube websites. I have found and used great videos from all three. The one thing I have learned over the years is to always preview the content first. As a first year teacher, I was discussing with my Kindergarten class the concept of "tall tales". I decided to show my class a Discovery Education cartoon video on the story of Paul Bunyan. Although I did watch some of the video, I did not preview all of it. Well, as it turns out, it shows Bunyan as a small boy walking out of the water with his bum showing. Wouldn't you know, that was the one thing from the video that students noticed?! Note to self: Always preview the video first!

Here are some great videos that I have used in the past with my students.
I used this video with my 2nd graders to help them remember the basic needs of animals. We also made our own video (based on the song) for open house.


Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

This is a video from Discovery Education. It retells one of my Kindergarten students' favorite books, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.




As teachers, copyright plays an important part when we are contemplating using videos and/or images as part of our teaching. One thing from the "11 Tools" blog that I did learn is that when using say a copyrighted video, it cannot be the majority of your lesson. It can only be a small portion of the lesson, used to get the point across, such as an Engage or Elaborate part of the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment